Ely Conservation Camp
Opened in 1985 with the ability to house 150 inmates. Currently the Nevada Division of Forestry has seven crew Captain Positions and one mechanic position with the ability to employ’ 84 inmates in conservation related projects and in emergency response activities.
NDF CREW TRUCK BUILD
The Ely Conservation Camp Industrial Shop has constructed 29 crew carriers, and constructed 29 tool trailers, saving the state an additional two million dollars if the truck and trailers would have been built by private contractors.
Over the past three years, Ely Camp has averaged 144,965 hours working on paid and community based projects and generated $771,481 in revenue.
- Community work for White Pine Counties: Buildings and Grounds, Road Departments and School Districts
- Nevada Department of Transportation: fence building, litter clean-up, repairing guard rails, cleaning culverts, fuels reduction and general maintenance of facilities
- Community work for: Ely, McGill, Ruth, Lund
- Nevada Division of State Parks (providing labor for projects): Fuels reduction and forest health work. Cave Lake State Park and Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park
- Nevada Department of Wildlife constructing Elk fence to enhance wildlife habitation
- Non-profit organizations such as: volunteer fire departments, senior centers, community centers, and cemeteries
- Fire rehabilitation efforts on local fires including seeding, soil stabilization, and damaged fence repair
- Federal Agencies: Great Basin National Park (Fuels Reduction) and the US Forest Service (variety of projects including road rehabilitation and fuels reduction)
- Landowner assistance with fence repair and fuels reduction though the help of the fire protection and resource management officers
Over the past three years, Ely Camp has averaged 40,212 hours working on emergency incidents each year. All incidents not in NDF jurisdiction bring in revenue for the general fund. Emergency responses include wildland fire, search and rescue, ice and snow removal, when there is threat to life and/or property, and flood control. Over the past few years we have been requested to assist California in wildland fire control when their resources are stretched thin. Ely Camps location in the East, allows them to play a pivotal role in initial attack of fires in White Pine and Eureka Counties.
Ely Conservation Camp
HC33 Box 33446
Ely, NV 89301